150g Caster sugar
50g Raw Cashews
50g Ground Beef
1/2 TSP Ground Cardamon
1/2 TSP Vanilla Essence
3 TBS GheeNot keen on using Ghee you can also use butter or margarine
3 TBS Milk Powder
¼ CUP Hot Water
Rava Laddu is sweet balls made during Indian Festivals. These are semolina balls filled with sugar, nuts, sultanas, ghee, and milk. Delicious festive goodies that can be placed in a jar or a box and presented to family and friends during the festival season.
This recipe is passed on to my mum from my grandma and now I’m very excited to teach you how to make this Rava Laddu.
The key to making a good Rava Laddu is;
- Toast the semolina with Ghee in a low flame, until it’s aromatic.
- Keep stirring the semolina until it is golden brown, not burnt.
- Use the fine semolina for this recipe.
- Grind the sugar before adding it into the semolina.
- This can be kept in a cool dry place for 3-4 days
- Add 1tbs of ghee to the pan, let it melt, and add the semolina and toast until it’s aromatic. This process takes about 5-8 minutes. Toast in a very low flame or heat.
- Then add semolina to a bowl, in the same pan add 2tbs of the remaining ghee and roast the cashew nuts, until it turns into a golden brown colour. Then add the sultanas into the same pan with cashews and let the sultanas puff and turn into golden colour. Add the nut mixture and the ghee from the pan onto the toasted semolina.
- Meanwhile, blend the sugar 4-5 times until it turns into a powder, add the sugar to the toasted semolina mixture. Add vanilla essence and cardamom powder and mix well. At this stage, the mixture will be very hot. Let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add 3 tbs milk powder into a cup with ¼ cup hot water, mix until the milk powder is dissolved.
- Using your hands, start adding 2 tablespoons of milk at a time and mix the toasted semolina with all the other ingredients until its start to stick together. Start forming small to medium size balls. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- The Rava Laddu will now be ready for you to eat with coffee or tea!